Contrary to popular belief, dental caries (tooth decay) is the most common chronic disease amongst young children – ahead of both asthma and diabetes! In fact with over 19 million untreated decayed teeth in Australia, tooth decay is the most prevalent chronic health condition affecting our population.
This oral disease can occur at anytime after your child’s teeth have erupted, and can develop as a result of:
With this in mind our team of Melbourne dentists recommend bringing your child in for an examination by the age of two or when their teeth first erupt – whichever comes first. We strive to make your children’s first visits to our practice as special as that of their first visit from the tooth fairy, to help your child form positive associations with oral care from a young age.
At our Melbourne dental practice we recommend the following tips for parents who wish to protect their children from tooth decay:
1. Avoid passing saliva to your child through shared cutlery or toothbrushes.
2. Use a soft, clean, damp cloth to clean your babies’ mouth twice daily.
3. Reduce or eliminate your child’s consumption of sugar-laden foods and drinks such as juices, soft drinks and sweets.
4. Brush your child’s teeth as soon as they erupt using a soft bristled brush with fluoride toothpaste designed specifically for children.
5. Build a healthy habit of brushing your child’s teeth every single night before bed – the reduced flow of saliva during sleep can lead to increased risk of dental decay.
When it comes to the oral health of your child prevention is always far better than a cure, so if you would like to protect and enhance the health of your child’s smile make an appointment at East Bentleigh Dental Group today!